One week down!

We have made it for one whole week making all of our own food! I am proud of what we have accomplished and while I did falter in my resolve once or twice, I am eager to try lots of new meals this coming week.

We had a successful trip to the farmer's market today with lots of fresh fruit and veg including new comers such a fava beans, purple potatoes, and leeks.



I have to back peddle a bit on my comments regarding the farm-fresh eggs. I am not sure if there was an issue with the first set of eggs we got or what, but the eggs we have had since then, have been amazing. In addition to a vibrant orange color, they are creamy and somehow more flavorful without being more eggie-if that is a word. I am really quite impressed. So, for the record, I now will seek out fresh eggs from here on out; even after the experiment is over. Maybe I should try fresh milk now. And cream to make my own butter!

For dinner we have petite sirloin with a fresh corn, zucchini, and summer squash succotash that has been infused with thyme. It is heavenly, but because of my corn allergy, I can only have a few bites. I really should not have any, but it was soooooooo good. Add so easy! We barbequed the corn with the meat and my substitute veggie: asparagus (which by the way is quite wonderful cooked on the grill). Once done, I simply cut off the corn from the cob and tossed it with cut up zuc, squash, thyme, and olive oil. There was not a drop left when the meal was over.

Later in the evening we have wonderful treat--homemade brownies and ice cream. The chocolate ice cream tastes like a fudge'icle and browned butter ice cream is to die for. It is rich and creamy and pairs superbly with the dark chocolate brownie. This recipe will definitely be added to the cookbook!

No comments: